The summer is still here and what could be more suitable to bake than Fruit Cocktail muffins? I made it easy for myself and bought a can with Del Monte’s Fruit Cocktail in the supermarket. 😉 😀
Recipe (makes 12 big muffins)
- 240 g (2 cups) plain/all-purpose flour
- 280 g (1 2/4 cups) caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 80 g (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 250 ml (1 cup) whole milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 can (425 g) Del Monte’s Fruit Cocktail in Juice
- I can (425 g) Del Monte’s Fruit Cocktail in Juice
- Icing/confectioners’ sugar
Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C (325 degrees F) Gas 3.
Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a bowl. Whisk all the ingredients until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated. Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth.
Let the Fruit Cocktail drain off in a strainer. Pour it into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients and continue mixing until the fruit is incorporated.Do not overmix.
Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until light golden and the cake bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the muffins to cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Finally, decorate the muffins with icing/confectioners’ sugar and Fruit Cocktail.